Monday, September 12, 2011

Face care 101 (when you're 30 and up)

The famous designer Coco Chanel once said "Nature gives you the face you have at 20; it is up to you to merit the face you have at 50." It means how you would look now totally depends on you. As we age, our skin specifically on the face loses it's ability to retain moisture. This results to a dry, lifeless, wrinkled and older-looking face. Who wants to be told "you look young for a 40 year old" when your real age is just 35!


I know, by now you must have been bombarded by TV ads claiming that their product "is dermatologically tested to improve your complexion and you would be mistaken as your daughter's older sister if you use this..." Beauty commercials, whether print or broadcast could leave some of us feeling like ugly ducklings  beside models who look so flawless and perfect. *sigh* I used to just roll my eyes before everytime people talk about the creams they would be caught dead without. I admit I'm a little (take note, little) vain but not with my face. When I reached 30, I started to fear the day I see wrinkles finding its way on my face. At 31, I promised myself I will do anything just to keep crow's feet and laugh lines at bay. So like most women, I made my face a guinea pig and smothered face creams and night creams and age defying creams (not necessarily in one application!) while reciting "wrinkles go away come back again one day when I'm 40!" Since my last birthday, I've been religious in taking care of my face and it's paying off. My first time acquaintances often find it hard to believe I'm 31! Ahhh, music to Ina-Tay's ears!

I also had a heart-to-heart girl talk with Mum after her Chemotherapy cycle and encouraged her to join me in my "beautification" project. She saw the light! To all mommies out there, I don't think spending some pesos for the love of our faces won't land our souls to hell. Here are the products Mum and I have been using and are very pleased with the results.


Image from Dove Philippines' website
1. Dove White Beauty Cream Bar - maybe their Real Beauty campaign won me over but I've been using this product to wash my face for like two years now and have no complaints. According to the Dove Philippines website "this is richly blended with ¼ moisturizing cream and the mildest cleansers." I've noticed that it leaves a clean and soft feel to my face, no itch whatsover. I read somewhere that the more fragrant the soap, the higher the perfume content and we know that perfume is not for the face! For me Dove's very subtle smell indicates a low perfume level so it's gentler compared to other brands. And at 40 pesos, I think it gives great value for money.


Photo from Lanopearl Australia website
2. Re-birth Emu Anti-Wrinkle Cream with AHA - this product is manufactured by Lanopearl Australia and I have been using this as my night cream for six months now. Re-birth is the most popular placenta cream in Australia. It is infused with Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) derived from fruit and milk acids. AHA help revitalize the appearance of skin by stimulating the production of collagen and elastin so it targets wrinkles and photo aging. Aside from AHA, this product also contains Emu oil. According to emuoilguide.com, the oil derived from the Emu, a bird native to Australia, "contain powerful oxidants, as well as a known skin cell regenerator and anti-wrinkle agent, helping to improve the condition of ageing skin.... and preventing additional moisture loss by forming a protective barrier." In case you feel squeamish, the company is certified organic. After using it for a month, my skin was visibly younger based on the positive remarks from my friends. Chemo is really known to make a patient look pale, old and sorry for the term, sickly, but in 2 months time Mum's face showed no trace that she has gone through chemotherapy, except for her Halle Berry 'do. Even her officemates commented that she looked healthy and glowing. If you want to purchase this product please comment on this post with your name and email.

Image from Avon website
3. Avon's ANEW REJUVENATE 24-hour Eye Moistuizer SPF 25 - Picture this - you had a great night with your girl friends or boyfriend, you had tons of stories to tell and chugged cup after cup of whatever it is you were chugging. You lost track of time (or did you???) and came home late. You wake up the following day and two tired-looking eyes stared back at you. Or you and the love of your life just had your nth lovers' spat the previous night so naturally you cried your heart's out - the prize the morning after? Red, puffy eyes! Aren't these scenes too familiar? Who hasn't gone through these and I'll be happy to call you a liar (hehehe). No? Well, how about dark circles under your eyes? Now, we're talking huh?

I came across ANEW two years ago through one of my dear friends Jae who is an Avon lady. I browsed through her catalogue and came across this product. Hmmm... I placed my order and has been hooked ever since. It gives my eyes a cool, calming feeling especially during the nights when I would cry myself to sleep. The small jar contains a duo of day and night eye creams but I'm so lazy during daytime I always fail to apply it. Although I only put it on before I hit the sack I've been happy with the results after two weeks. Gone were the dark circles and my eyes looked more alive. By the way, this product is not for everyone. I checked Avon's website and there were a number of customers who had adverse reactions to Anew. I'm not sure though if they still carry this line but bottomline ladies is we also need to care for our eyes.

Image from Neutrogena website
4. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 - Global warming and the fact that I'm not getting any younger promted me to start using sunblock. I went to the local beauty store to look for a good brand and I came across Neutrogena. I bought it because of its Helioplex technology which according to their site "is the latest breakthrough in UV protection that prevents damaging UVA rays from penetrating deep under the skin's surface." If you've been living under a rock and doesn't know, too much sun exposure has been scientifically proven to hasten the aging process. And with the harmful UV rays, don't be surprised to see damage on your face if you won't do anything to protect yourself. With SPF 55 (the higher the SPF the better) and it's lightweight non-greasy feel on my skin, my 500 pesos was well worth it.

Ladies these are Ina-Tay's face regimen nowadays. Please note that my reviews are based on my personal experience and should not be held liable for any untoward effects on individuals. Let us also remember that we have different skin types and some of us are allegic to some products and ingredients. One last advice though - when washing your face and applying any cream or moisturizer, do it in outward and upward motion. It prevents your lovely faces from sagging!
Ina-Tay and the heir to her stilettos

Dad, my baby brother and Mum (post chemo July 2011), Ina-Tay was busy driving to and from :)

2 comments:

  1. So many products, so little time...
    I know I should be thinking about my skin too, as I am not getting any younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this was a really good post. Taking a few minutes and actual
    effort to produce a very good article… but what can I say… I put things off
    a lot and never manage to get nearly anything done.

    My web blog :: Beaudify

    ReplyDelete